Monday 26 August 2013

A Sustainable Thread...

This blog has come about, partly because like any English student I enjoy writing, but also because for a while now I have been struggling to balance a love for fashion and beautiful clothes with a growing objection to the modern consumer lifestyle. The fashion industry relies on a fast product turnover; forever enticing us with the latest trends whilst we let last seasons ‘must-haves’ gather dust at the back of the wardrobe. As a result, resources are depleting faster than ever, whilst at the same time clothes that could be recycled end up in landfills.

[See my recent article for Nottingham’s IMPACT magazine here on how the high street are establishing sustainable strategies: http://www.impactnottingham.com/2013/08/sustainable-fashion-what-can-you-do/
  
I love the idea of living a minimalistic lifestyle with only very key pieces inhabiting my wardrobe. I haven’t quite mastered the self-restraint required to live this way and frequently moving between home and university only highlights the amount of stuff I manage to accumulate. And so, I’ve come to the conclusion that if I can’t go cold turkey on the buying front then I’ll try and change what it is that I’m buying. Instead of succumbing to cheap and cheerful fast fashion, I will try to shop sustainably, choosing only a limited number of key pieces (from sustainably assured lines and designers where possible), but mostly buying vintage and second-hand.

For the most part this is no problem as I am already a fan of sourcing vintage and second-hand bargains. As well as the student friendly price, I think mixing high street with one off pieces makes for a much more whimsical and creative way of dressing. I love mixing grungy and elegant, bold patterns and ethereal pieces and topping it off with anything oversized. I’m a big fan of the thrown together look and am totally envious of anyone who can make a flawless outfit look totally effortless.


This blog, as well as easing my consumer conscience, will document my attempt at embracing sustainable fashion (on a budget) with regular outfit posts and comments on various developments in the eco fashion world...

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11216587/?claim=hg3cprd4a4c">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment